If you’re reading this, you’re already well-aware that the office world is changing. The days of dreary decor, long leases and sad, al-desko lunches are on the way out, as tech companies seek more suitable and flexible working spaces for their businesses.
In the hunt for new spaces, tech companies are searching for an area that attracts talent, is close to customers and other innovators, is easy to get to and has the bars, restaurants and other amenities that make a neighbourhood exciting. The answer?
East London Tech City, Silicon Roundabout, whichever name you choose, Shoreditch is one of the best destinations in the city for tech startups, scaleups and companies looking to work, network and grow.
So, which are the coolest office spaces in Shoreditch?
Cool office spaces for tech companies and startups in Shoreditch
Based in the iconic Alphabeta Building (the first in London with a ride-in bike ramp) in Finsbury Square, Huckletree Shoreditch describes itself as a ‘workplace accelerator for East London’s tech and innovation community’, and offers everything from hot desks to private studios.
Huckletree members can also access the Alpha Programme, a 12-week intensive accelerator for startups at pre-seed stage, including pitch practise, workshops, industry feedback and more.
Huckletree at a glance:
- Plans range from Light (10 days’ access per month) to Studio (office space for 2-50 people)
- Created The Alpha Programme, an intensive accelerator programme
- Perfectly located for Shoreditch and the City
- Gym access, basketball and squash courts
- Roof terrace with urban gardens
- Part of a growing, global network
Techspace provides more than just a space for their members. Their mission is to work with tech companies to provide a platform and the resources necessary for sustainable scaleup. As part of this mission, Techspace works solely with tech companies, so no agencies, recruiters, traders or bankers.
Techspace’s thoughtfully-designed offices can be found on Luke Street, five minutes from both Old Street and Shoreditch High Street stations, and under 10 from Liverpool Street.
Techspace at a glance:
- Plans range from Fixed Desk to Enterprise (a self-contained floor of the building)
- Supportive environment with sustainable scaleups in mind
- 2,000 sq ft events space, with a 50% member discount
- Solely focused on tech companies
- Pet-friendly offices, so you can bring your furry chums to work
Mindspace’s motto is ‘getting more done, together’, and as such a community feel between members is instilled through thoughtful design of their spaces, regular events, workshops and more.
Also, Mindspace’s global reach means that joining Mindspace Shoreditch opens up access to international Mindspace locations, including Tel Aviv, San Francisco and Berlin.
Mindspace at a glance:
- Spaces designed to encourage community and collaboration
- Flexible monthly memberships
- Access to international offices
- Close to Liverpool Street and Shoreditch High Street stations
- Parking, for those who don’t do trains
- Furry chums welcomed
With over 800 locations worldwide, WeWork has come to be synonymous with coworking.
This is what makes Headquarters by WeWork, Shoreditch interesting. Here, you won’t find any WeWork branding. Companies get their own reception with their own branding, and private space configured in a way that works best for them.
Despite the lack of WeWork branding, members still get access to the global WeWork Member Network, as well as the ability to book additional space and conference rooms at all WeWork locations.
Headquarters by WeWork at a glance:
- Your own space, reception and branding
- Access to the WeWork Member Network
- The ability to book additional space or rooms at any WeWork
- Two-minute walk from Old Street Station
- Furry chums allowed
Looking for office space that you can make your own? Here’s everything you need to know about managed office space in London—the flexible and hassle-free way to tailor your workspace.
Coming in January 2020, Fora Shoreditch will, like other Fora locations, occupy the luxury-end of flexible working spaces. Fora’s teams are trained in partnership with L’École Hôtelière de Lausanne, their spaces designed by world-renowned architects and their reading rooms curated by Foyles. To surmise: swanky.
FORA Shoreditch – Great Eastern Street at a glance:
- High-end design and facilities in a great location
- Courtyard and roof terrace
- Events, talks and wellbeing sessions
- Furry chums welcome (…but must wipe feet)
Created by Barclays, Rise London is open only to FinTech businesses, offering exclusive access to accelerator programmes, mentors and connections around the world.
Barclays’ vision is to make Rise the ‘Home of FinTech’, and the Rise programme generates 100+ new prototypes and business models and 60+ deals signed between Barclays and FinTech startups each year.
Rise London at a glance:
- Created by Barclays as the ‘Home of FinTech’
- 60+ deals between Barclays and startups per year
- Access to mentors, accelerator programme and tech
- Close to Old Street, Shoreditch High Street and Moorgate stations
- Furry chums allowed
London Metropolitan University’s Accelerator London has a 15-year track record of growing startups, both for LMU alumni looking for help and advice and non-alumni looking for a space to work and grow.
More affordable than many other options, Accelerator London offers a real community feel, along with flexible contracts, expert advice and opportunities to scale. In 2018, Accelerator London startups generated £14m in funding and £21m in revenue.
Accelerator London at a glance:
- Affordable coworking space
- Plans from hot-desking to private offices for 3-24 people
- Flexible monthly contracts
- A focus on community
- Support from the Accelerator team
With its high, white walls and tall windows, Breather, Charlotte Road is a beautifully designed private office space for up to 14 people. Sporting contemporary furniture, a kitchenette, WiFi and exposed brickwork, this space is classy and impressive, and completely plug-and-play.
Breather at a glance:
- Beautiful and cleanly-decorated, with huge windows and lots of light
- Kitchenette attached
- Plug-and-play setup
Occupying a building built in the 1930s, TOG, Rivington Street’s interior is a beautiful monument to art deco, bathed in natural light and right in the beating heart of Tech City.
Alongside a striking interior, TOG offers members meeting rooms, breakout spaces and focus booths. Members can also access a roof garden, whether hot-desking in the communal lounge or working in a large private office.
TOG, Rivington Street, at a glance:
- Located in the heart of Shoreditch
- Stunning decor with bags of natural light
- Flexible contracts, from hot-desking to private offices
- Roof garden
- Meeting rooms, breakout spaces and focus booths